Saturday, 24 March 2012

A Box Full Of Fairies

Morning all,

What a beautiful day. The sun is shining, it's very warm and I am stuck indoors! My husband is giving the lawns their first cut. I am going to go and prune the roses after lunch. I think my knee will allow that much.

Thank you for all you lovely messages re: my knee op. I am getting around ok and had a short drive in my car yesterday.

I must also thank Mary very much for the blog award. It gives you an amazing feeling when that happens. To think that your crafty efforts can inspire other people, is incredible. I am my biggest critic. I will think very carefully and choose my faves to pass the award on to.

Well this project has been in my head for months. I asked our handyman, Paul, if he could make me a box, 8" x 8" x 4" from bits of wood. He brought it last Friday, slightly different measurements than I had planned for but I just had to use smaller mushrooms!

It all started with this, my first watercolour painting I had done since I was about 15 years old! Not that long ago!Lol! It is supposed to be a Bluebell wood. You have to use your imagination:)


I painted the inside of the box with Acrylic paints and then stuck the painting on the back of the inside of the box. I know, maybe I should have put it on the back of the box! At least I have covered up most of it:-)

The 'tree' on the right is actually a stem of an old shrub, that my 90 year old neighbour dug out of my garden for me. When I saw it on the lawn, I thought 'trees'! I chopped it into 3 pieces, in case I wanted to do another box.


The log at the front, bottom right was a piece I cut off of the 'tree'. The mushrooms are made by my Brother-in-law on his lathe. The one behind the fairy on the left was painted by my Granddaughter.
All the 'plants' come from my Dolls House stash. Including the pieces of slate and moss I have used for the path. I built up the base with Pollyfilla first, just to get a bit of height.
Unfortunately, because of the light today, the fairies have not come out very well. The colours are actually much more intense than they appear. Especially the skintones, which look very pale in the photos.
This fairy is from
Crafty Ideas by Kaz. She is perfect for the position I wanted her. I stamped the wings twice, just to give them a bit more definition. This fairy was painted with Dusty Concord Distress ink and the wings were overpainted with Stardust Stickles.
The fairy below is from Lili Of The Valley, again painted with Distress Inks, Faded Jeans on her dress and Milled Lavender on her wings. Their skin was painted with Antique Linen and Tattered Rose, not that you can see it!



It was a fun project to do and at least it is now out of my head!Lol!
I will put it on my Charity stall at the end of April. You never know, someone may give me a couple of pounds for it.
Would love to hear what you think of it!
Have a good weekend and thank you for taking the time to stop by.
Hugs,
Carol S.xx



3 comments:

Elaine said...

Carole I love the fairy Boxes and the fairies are FAB, The painting however is stunning !
you are so talented , there is so much depth into the picture I feel I could walk the path myself ,and the colours are devine, Great work Well done Hugs elaine

Jennifer said...

Hi Carol. Your work is truly stunning! xx Jenny xx

Jessica said...

Goodness me Carol - this is stunning - you clever thing you. What a lovely, lovely work of art. Hope you are well. Jxx